Nearly three UFO sightings a day in Canada in 2011
UFO sightings over Canada approached record numbers in 2011, according to a study released by the Canadian UFO Survey.
Ontario Province reported a record number of sightings last year, according to the study, which has been published annually for 23 years.
Highlights of the 2011 study include:
- There were 986 UFO sightings reported in Canada in 2011, approaching three each day. This is near the record for numbers of reports in one year, when 1,004 reports were received in 2008.
- Ontario had an all-time record high number of UFOs reported in 2011. In fact, the percentage of reports in Ontario compared with the rest of Canada has been increasing steadily during the past ten years.
- In 2011, about 11 per cent of all UFO reports were judged unexplained. This percentage of “unknowns” falls to less than one per cent when only higher-quality cases are considered.
- Approximately one in ten Canadians believe they’ve seen UFOs.
- There is an average of two witnesses per UFO sighting.
- The typical UFO sighting lasted approximately 11 minutes in 2011.
- The study found that more than half of all UFO sightings were of simple lights in the sky. Witnesses also reported point sources of light, spheres and boomerangs.